Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Editor's Notepod, Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wallingford: the building that nobody wants and that cannot die. After interested persons incited the Historical Commission to intervene to save the American Legion building for historic value, efforts are now being made to sell the property — and two presumably legitimate offers have now been rejected. Makes no sense to me.

Meriden/Wallingford: town’s suit vs. ZBA based on traffic, logically enough. The whole controversy is an excellent argument for contiguous municipalities to work together on zoning issues. It’ll never happen.

Meriden: I-91 construction. There’s no real excuse for operating these road repair jobs in a way which simply snarls traffic for hours. I spent an hour in August on 91 southbound just sitting because of similar work; someone else I know sat in the northbound lane this week. While news of the work has been in the paper, on neither occasion did I see any sort of warning to motorists. Through traffic has no choice, but I was coming home from Cromwell at 9 p.m. and would not have entered I91 had the work stoppage been posted. And while we’re at it, drivers should be aware that there’s a project on East Main Street Meriden as well.

No comments: